On March 1st 1935 Maurice Markovitz bought the present Commercial Road premises, from Tideswell and Millers Dale Coal and General Merchants Company Ltd for £1,200, which meant that he was then able to branch out into supplying building materials.


Maurice never married. His nephew Brian joined him at Commercial Road in 1953 further developing the business. In 1995, Brian re-located to larger premises on Richard Lane in Tideswell and the Commercial Road premises were converted into 'The Courtyard'; a luxury kitchen, bedroom and bathroom showroom.


Since then, Brian's two sons David and Robert have taken over the business, and further developed it to now include a  the Kitchen and Bathroom Showroom in Chesterfield and several more depots offering a range of builders' and plumbers' merchants, civils' services and insulation and drylining merchants.

 

From humble beginnings, the company now employs around 250 people. The company prides itself in remaining a family run business, which we are sure Maurice would be proud of.​

The Markovitz Group encompasses our eight depots, our two luxury kitchen and bathroom showrooms, our specialist Stove & Cooker Showroom at our Leek branch and our Stove Showroom at our Buxton depot. We also have our very own restaurant as part of the Markovitz Group, AA-Rosette awarded 'The Merchant's Yard' in Tideswell.

For more information on each of these please click below.

Civils
Merchants
Showrooms
Stoves & Cookers
Restaurant
Show More

About Us

Find Your Nearest Branch

Proud members of

© M Markovitz Ltd 2020

HEAD OFFICE: Town End Yard, Richard Lane, Tideswell SK17 8PZ

  • Facebook Social Icon

M.Markovitz Ltd are proud to support

Buxton FC Logo - Col New.png

Raising money for our local

end of life care charities

Restaurant

Go to link